Saturday, June 24, 2006

I would have blogged, honest, but I've been terribly busy. See, I have been struggling to balance work and the World Cup, and have therefore had very little me time.

I will say this, though: it is really a big load of fun to be around all the brouhaha. I've watched several matches on the big screen at the public viewing area in Dortmund (where I work), one on the big screen in the garden of one of the big companies where I teach, several in my local bar, and one or two at home. I've also missed several due to work (including the first and third US games: I saw the US-Italy game at a party).

The big news is that I'm going to go to Berlin with some friends for the final. We won't actually be at the game, but we will be in amongst the fans. Or rather, I *might* not be at the game: I continue to work an angle on a ticket to a match, because I know someone with access to assorted tickets. So, something may work out.

You can see my first round predictions below, so you know that I was less than fully accurate. It is useless to promise a game by game reaction, so I'll just give you the following:

I AM IMPRESSED BY
Argentina, obviously, but I do not fear them.
Germany, obviously.
The Netherlands.
Spain.
Ghana.
Ecuador.
Australia.

I AM NOT IMPRESSED BY
France, Switzerland, Italy, England, Sweden, and Portugal

I AM DISAPPOINTED IN
Mexico and Ukraine

I HAVE MIXED EMOTIONS ABOUT
Brazil: they looked tired and bored in the first two games, and seem only to have woken up after the Japanese goal. I think the monster may now be out of the cage, but they are still not the favorite in my book.

I remain true to Mexico out of pure stubbornness, but I may have to change after today.

I will miss the US, Trinidad, and Koreateam. And, of course, Tobago.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, it was tres sad watching mexico lose a heartfelt battle to argentina at Rio Grande. The waiter glumly brought us our check after the first overtime half... he didnt know mexico had one more chance... alas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home