Tuesday, January 25, 2005

One of the few positives to come out of the adventures of Dubyah is that a broader selection of center/left readers have come to realize what some of us have long known/suspected: Thomas Friedman is a bag of wind, at best, and a dangerous "moderate" imperialist at worst. Here's his latest pile of poo: Divided We Stand.

One of the things I like least about his style is his "telling anecdote". So, if I were T.F. and wanted to explain why I think the New York Times sucks, I might say "Tuesday morning, just after midnight, I stumbled across an op/ed piece by a middle-aged writer who specializes, allegedly, in the Middle East and yet was taken in by Dubyah's claims of noble intentions for the region. It sucked. Ironically, this is the same paper that publishes Paul Krugman."

In the latest article, T.F.'s "telling anecdote" is the shocking discovery that, in Paris (PARIS!), there are Muslim girls for whom religion is self-identity #1. Good LORD! Can it be?!?!

Just as a heads up to Tom: there are Christians all over the world (even in PARIS!), and Jews (even in PARIS!), and Hindus (not so much in Paris, I reckon, but LONDON!), and so on who would pull that same amazing stunt for you. En garde! And watch who you talk to in Brooklyn or Houston.

There are oh so many things I would like to have Tom Friedman do, but I would be happy if he would just avoid EITHER writing about such topics until he has done a bit of reading on the sociology and history of immigrant minority clusters throughout history OR writing at all (assuming he isn't as dumb as he appears to be and is just a liar).

Sigh.


"By the Time I Get to Arizona" by Public Enemy is up on the iTunes, so I've got that going for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home