Sunday, April 24, 2005

Carlton recently mentioned that the television program Enterprise "sucks". I have seen fewer than half of the episodes, but I have read recaps via Television Without Pity for all those I missed and can't agree. I think a case can be made that it sucks relative to what it might have been, but we must watch the Trek we have, and not the Trek we might wish to have.

Devoted Trek fans (also known as weirdos, Trekkies, Trekkers, losers, nerds, scientists, and Greg) have, over the years, made Star Trek better by making their desires clear to the writers (and becoming the writers). They have identified themselves and their desires and have shown themselves ready to buy shit. They have been rewarded, I reckon, by a production/writing stable more attuned to the existing fan base than any other francise (that person fucking you, Star Wars fans? His name is George Lucas, and he'll not be giving you a reacharound).

This, as a rule, has been to THE GOOD.

I have to part ways with the average fan, however, on one big point. This is a thing that first appeared back in the 1960s and, because of the fans, has become a thread running through Trek. (A word of warning: What I am about to type is the sort of thing that could get me kicked out of a Magik card circle, if I were in one.)

I HATE THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. Hate. It.

I hated it in the original series.
I don't recall seeing it The Next Generation (further proof, perhaps, that this was the best of all the shows).
I hated it in Deep Space Nine.
I have only seen a handful of Voyager episodes, so can't speak to its presence there.
I refuse to watch it in Enterprise.

I am, quite frankly, pissed off that Enterprise would waste not one but two of its remaining handful of episodes on this bullshit.

(Yes, the Evil Goatee. Otherwise, suck.)
(The Mirror Universe sucks in oh so many ways: the good guys are bad [mirrored, ok], but the bad guys aren't good! Why don't cats chase dogs? Why doesn't hot snow fall up? Why don't the transporters always work perfectly?)

4 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger Carlton said...

I don't know much about what you are talking about, but I think that the ENT team is trying to address and tie up some of the longer-standing questions about the Trek-verse with this dying gasp. (Like why TOS kingons didn't have brow ridges). Is it good? Probably not. This show has been cursed from the beginning.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Greg said...

See, if that's what they were doing with the Mirror U episodes then I might let it slide, but there are really no outstanding questions there (except why does this silliness reappear now and then).

I like how they did the browridge thing, for example. It didn't have to be done, but they did ok with it.

In this case I think they are throwing a bone to a chunk of the fans (the one that loves the M.U.). Not a bad thing as a rule, but in this case I am personally offended.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bub, I just wanted to point out that up is up and down is down in the mirror no matter what. it's only left-as-right and right-as-left that's different. Unless of course you have some sort of warp field that distorts dimensions your argument of hot snow falling up is flawed. We're not talking opposite days here. And if you really want a good Mirror Universe story read Grant Morrison's JLA: Earth 2. Who's the bigger geek now huh?

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I guess, Jimmy, that part of my problem is I can't get my head around the basic difference between up/down and left/right.

(the hot snow, by the way, I can't take credit for: Homer once asked Lisa if that was what he could expect to see in Brazil)

JLA = Justice League? They do M.U. too? What does that book do to pull it off?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home